Thursday, April 15, 2010

"Working mom??"

Props to all you working moms! I honestly don’t know how you do it! I was at the sink the other day after a rather long day wondering what I was going to do for dinner. I was tired, emotional, and honestly not feeling like doing anything! Then my mind began to think of all those moms out there who work all day, come home and still get the house cleaned and the kids cared for AND dinner! Amazing to me! You are my heroes!
Recently it has been suggested that I get a job.(suggested not by my husband, if that were the case there would be no thought.) Lately I have been doing a lot of thinking about that. (Thus my thoughts at the sink)
First thought, my skills are so very lacking! I went to college to marry my hunk of studliness and found him the first year! I followed him to Liberty and took classes that I enjoyed like sign language(and were easy). Not to mention my brain only works on a short term basis, so all that I learned for the tests have now escaped my mind! Therefore I have no education degree or ANY degree for that matter to “fall back on”.
Where in the world could I work to earn even half enough to pay for child care? I do have a nine month old and I am pretty particular about his care! Sure I could work the grocery, but between gas and babysitter- there goes my paycheck!
Jack and I talked before ever getting married that we wanted me home for our children. No babysitters or day care, just mom home for whenever and whatever they needed! We knew that would not always be easy and sure we don’t live like most, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything! I did have a job after the three oldest were in school and before the fourth came along, but even then, I left after they did and was always home before they were! That is just the way we chose to do it!
So I am left wondering, is this just my selfishness rationalizing or justifying in my head? Am I being less of a mom because I don’t work? Am I cheating my family of some “extras”? Am I taking full advantage of being at home? Am I too comfortable where I am? Many question for me to think about and I definitely will. But while I think and even change some things, I will continue my “work” at home, in the home.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I had to write a comment - I just had to. I resented my mom growing up because she was always home when I got home and I wanted to do whatever I wanted like so many of my friends. But instead I had to sit at the table and eat peanut butter and crackers and tell her about my day. Now doesn't that sound stupid? I was upset because I had someone at home waiting on me to hear all about ME! Oh Kam- we so don't work for anyone else in this old dirty world except for our God. And when we work - whether outside the home or in, it isn't our money it's His. Don’t doubt where our God has you. Because at this point I can confidently say - it's not at a grocery store checking out and bagging for stay at home moms.

Anonymous said...

My dear, sweet, daughter, You are exactly where God wants you to be. The time you spend now with your children will fly by so quickly, and be gone forever. This is when you are needed the most at home, caring for and loving those children. God continues to bless you and Jack for doing what is right in His eyes. Don't ever compromise that. Soon enough, you will see what the future holds and how God wants you to serve. But for now, your job is the hardest, most gratifying one on earth: being a special momma to 4 beautiful children who will always remember how much they appreciated you being there and being able to do what some of the other moms couldn't do. Treasure this time and the hide these memories in your heart. It will someday be a needed blessing to take them out of hiding and remember the love you showed and were given raising your children. Love, Mom (Betty)

Anonymous said...

Kami - being a working mom is not all it's cracked up to be and trust me you are not any less of a mom becuase you are wholly and fully dedicated to your children... without distraction. I think about and admire you and my sister often for being such dedicated workers in the home. I know it seems like the grass is greener.. but think of all the extra expenses you have to spend when you work outside the home.. you mentioned child care, gas, you aren't able to cook as much, etc. thanks for sharing your heart oh so openly.
Love becca g

MrsKraft said...

Kami, there is no trinket, trip, or treasure I would ever exchange for the security, foundation and sanctity of having a stay-at-home mom. I would trade it for anything. Your "paycheck" is like our spiritual crowns...you can't see them now or reap temporal benefits, but it definitely will be worth it all. Your kids adore you, and they understand love, trust...and Jesus...because of you. Love you. Aunt Jenny

Michelle said...

Whatever you say about the job to seek, don't ever think you are not working...
I keep wondering the same spot but God has a reason for you to stay home mom because Mom is a job for our Lord!
I would rather stay home than being out there because I know being a mom is the best part of our lives for our children that they need us.
I always wants for all moms to stay home than them going to daycare.
Don't worry about it sweet sister! Ily
:) Be glad and be not anxious

jennifer anderson said...

watching kids is the hardest job there is